Rehearsal will be held at Central Middle School on Thursday, August 22nd. We will rehearse from 6:00pm until 9:00pm and play at the Fall Sports Kickoff during that time. Leadership students will be around to help guide students to the correct location on the Central MS campus.
Please join us on Friday, August 23rd in celebration of our students and their successful band camp! From 6-8 PM we will convene in true potluck style at Byrnes Park (SW of the intersection at Campbell Ave and Fletcher Ave) for food, relaxation, and fun! Your family is encouraged to join us as well!
To ensure that this picnic is as successful as possible, we have assigned the following dishes/items to the following students so that we have enough of everything! The list is sorted by student last name:
Seniors, Juniors A-L (last name): Main Dish
Juniors M-Z, Sophomores A-H: Side Dish
Sophomores I-Z, Freshmen A-D: Desserts
Freshmen E-Z, Color Guard: Individually packaged drinks
The My Waterloo Days Parade is an optional parade that students signed up to perform in. We combine with students from the East High band to support our community! The parade is Friday, June 7th and starts at 6:30pm in downtown Waterloo. Here is the logistical information:
Meeting Place: YWCA in Downtown Waterloo
Meeting Time: Percussion- 5:15pm Winds- 5:30pm
Attire: White MWD t-shirt (provided to first time participants at the parade), black shorts, tennis shoes
Additional Equipment: Take your instrument after school. If it is a school loaned instrument we will take it back after the parade. Bigger instruments will be loaded onto the truck after school.
If you did not receive or have misplaced a summer letter please find them here. The letter contains information about the marching band season, important dates for the 2019-20 school year, as well as other pertinent band information. If you have any questions please contact one of the directors!
Due to weather the Memorial Day Parade has been cancelled. Have a safe rest of your weekend!
The band banquet will start in the West High Commons next Monday (5/6) at 6:00 PM. This event is a potluck style event where we recognize our student achievements over the past year. We will also be introducing our new director of bands, Mr. Jason Dobbs! Following the potluck in the Commons, we will convene in the auditorium where we will present band letters, bars, and awards. This event should conclude by 8:00 PM. We encourage all students and families to join us for this event!
Students attending should plan on bringing the dish corresponding with their last name/class.
All Seniors, Juniors last name between A-M: Main Dish
Juniors N-Z, Sophomores A-N: Side Dish
Sophomores O-Z, Freshmen A-Hitchings: Dessert
Freshmen Hogle-Z: Individual drinks (soda, lemonade, punch, no 2-liters)
The April Concert is Monday, April 29th and will be split into two (2) concerts featuring all of the Bands, Choirs, and Orchestras at West High! Admission, as always, is free but we do accept free will donations. The first concert starts at 6:00pm and the second concert will start at 7:30pm. A reception for senior students and their families will follow in the Commons. Here is a list of which groups are playing on which concert:
Bass Clef Choir
Treble Clef Choir
If you are not sure which ensemble your student is in please check out the Ensemble page of the website.
The information in this email is for the State Large Group Festival on May 4 at Cedar Falls High School (bands and choirs) and Holmes Junior High (orchestras). Band performances will be in the CFHS gym. Please read this email, because it has very important information.
Information for Adults
This event is sanctioned by the Iowa High School Music Association, so there is an admission cost of $7 for adults, $5 for seniors (62+), and $3 for students (K-12). Performers get in for free. Important times for students are listed below the student expectations. Students need to provide their own transportation to this event. If this is going to be a problem, please talk with a band director as soon as possible.
Expectations for Students
1. Attendance is mandatory. This is a very important performance for the band program. It is the culmination of the work the students have done the entire year. Work is not an excuse to miss this performance.
2. Students must provide their own transportation to and from this event. If that will be a problem, please talk to one of the band directors as soon as possible.
3. Students need to take their music and instrument home on Friday, May 3, after school. The building will not be open on May 4 for students to get instruments. The only instruments the directors will bring are tubas, bari saxes, and percussion.
4. When students arrive, they should go directly to the CF band rooms. To find the band rooms, go inside the main entrance and go to the left. You can also ask the adults at the ticket table.
5. Concert dress is the same as other band concerts.
6. There will be concessions available for purchase.
7. You will need to watch one other non-Waterloo West band perform and fill out an adjudication form, so bring a pencil with you. We will go through this assignment in class.
8. Remember that you are representing the Waterloo West Band. Be on your best behavior. This will be discussed in class.
If you are performing for choir for Symphony Orchestra, the times will not conflict. Here are important times for each band:
Call time: 11:45
Warm up: 12:15
Call time: 1:15
Warm up: 1:47
Call time: 2:45
Warm up: 3:29
Make sure you check out the West High Jazz Bands at the 4A NEIBA Jazz Festival Saturday, March 2nd! All three bands will perform right here in the West High Auditorium! Admission is $5 for adults and Free for Students and Children 5 & Under.
Jazz Band III- 8:30am
Jazz Band II- 10:45am
Jazz Band I- 1:45pm
*If you are not sure which band your student plays in please check the Ensembles page.